Collection: Winter Pianos

Winter & Company, founded in 1899 by Julius Winter in New York City, quickly rose to prominence as one of the largest piano manufacturers of its time. Initially started as Heller & Company by Gottlieb Heller and Henry Heller, the firm was purchased and renamed by Julius Winter in 1901. By 1903, Winter had established a new, state-of-the-art factory on Southern Boulevard in the Bronx, enabling the company to support massive production and become a significant player in the piano industry​.

Winter pianos were known for their high-quality craftsmanship and innovative designs. One of their most famous contributions to the piano industry was the introduction of the "Master Player" mechanism in 1904, which allowed their pianos to play music automatically using perforated paper rolls. Another notable model was the Winter Musette, the first spinet-style upright piano built in America around 1931. This design helped revitalize the piano market during the Great Depression by offering a sleek, modern piano that fit well in smaller, contemporary interiors​.

Throughout the 20th century, Winter & Company continued to expand through various acquisitions, including the purchase of several well-known brands like Heller & Co., Ivers & Pond, and Kranich & Bach. In the 1960s, Winter & Company was merged with the Aeolian-American Corporation, further solidifying its presence in the market. The Winter brand continued under Aeolian until the company went out of business in the 1980s​.

Today, Winter pianos are valued for their historical significance and the innovations they brought to the piano industry. Collectors and musicians alike appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of these instruments, which continue to be sought after for their rich sound and elegant design.

1 of 8

Ask Brigham any piano buying question...